Qualifications and Experience


Susan Davis (BMus)

I hold a music degree for violin performance from Auckland University and have been teaching since 2006 (private and schools).

I have many years of professional experience playing solo, ensemble and orchestral violin.

My long teaching experience helps children and adult pupils achieve their aims.  These aims can be exams, personal improvement or community orchestra and chamber music.



Qualifications

BMus in violin performance from Auckland University.   

Victoria University viola prep. year. 

BA(Hons) in German (relevant to the culture of classical music). 

Teachers' Council LAT registration as itinerant violin and viola teacher in schools (2013 - 2015).  This includes Police check and qualifications check.

IRMTNZ registration in 2010.



Violin Playing

I play at many events and weddings as a soloist and as lead violinist with my ensemble: Ambiance Strings.  Our Pohutukawa Trio presents concert pieces,  as in this video

For up-to-date news on my playing, click Performance News.  I was also a member of the professional Waitakere Orchestra.



School Teaching

All my pupils taking NCEA violin at secondary schools MAGS and Waitakere College have succeeded.  

I have also held temporary teaching positions at Belmont Intermediate, Northcross Intermediate, Bays Music Centre, Stanley Bay Primary and the Pikinima Trust.

Teaching Achievements

I have been privately teaching since 2006.  Pupils' achievements (private and schools) include:

All my pupils taking ABRSM violin exams have passed, most with merit or distinction.

A young man with no former experience joining the well-regarded Devonport Chamber Orchestra within 3 years of starting lessons with me.

Two 'late starters' with previous piano experience played grade 2 material well and could shift and play in 3rd position within a few weeks.

Many young pupils have joined school orchestras and chamber groups.

Many adult pupils have joined good amateur orchestras and formed chamber groups. 

Some pupils just want to play 'for fun': playing lovely pieces for themselves, friends and family.